James R. Snyder's areas of practice include environmental law where he has consulted coal companies, solid waste companies, petroleum retailers and others in connection with common law and regulatory issues. He has also represented these clients in administrative and court proceedings. He maintains a practice in construction law and contracts, representing owners, contractors and design professionals in construction negotiations, disputes, mediations, arbitrations and litigation involving errors and omissions, design problems and contract administration. He also has substantial experience with West Virginia's anti-trust and fair pricing laws.
Mr. Snyder joined the Firm in 1979 after clerking for the United States District Court for the Southern District of Michigan for two years. He became a Member of the Firm in 1985. He is a 1977 graduate of West Virginia University Law School, Order of the Coif. He received a Bachelor of Arts in economics from the University of Notre Dame in 1973 and attended graduate school in economics at Brown University.
Mr. Snyder is admitted to practice in the state and federal courts of West Virginia and Michigan, as well as the United States Tax Court. He has authored many articles on environmental and construction law, including the "West Virginia" Chapter, 50-State Public Construction Contract, John Wiley & Sons, 1996; Fifty State Construction Lien and Bond Law; State-by-State Guide to Architect, Engineer, and Contractor Licensing; and the West Virginia Chapter ABA, State-by-State Guide to Construction and Design Law, Section of Real Property Probate and Trust Law, 2009.
Mr. Snyder is and has been listed in Woodward/White's The Best Lawyers in America® for several years.
|1979 - Present||Jackson Kelly PLLC|
|1977 - 1979||Honorable Ralph M. Friedman, U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Michigan, Law Clerk|
|1977||J.D.||West Virginia University College of Law|
|1974||Brown University (RI) |
|1973||B.A.||University of Notre Dame (IN) (Economics)|
|1981||U.S. District Court, Northern District of West Virginia|
|1979||U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit|
|1979||U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Michigan|
|1977||U.S. District Court, Southern District of West Virginia|
|1977||All West Virginia State Courts |
- American Bar Association
- State Bar of Michigan
- Kanawha County Bar Association
- West Virginia Bar Association
- ABA Forum on the Construction Industry
- Berry Hills Country Club
- Chamber of Commerce
- Center for the Arts and Sciences of West Virginia, Inc.
Teaching and Lecturing:
- 1997 29th Annual Symposium, Lecture
- WV CLE Construction Law - Contract Provisions, 1992
- National Business Institute West Virginia Construction Law, 1991
- National Business Institute Environmental (Solid Waste), 1990
- WV CLE Environmental (Surface Mining), 1990
- Several speeches and publications to West Virginia Institute of Architects
- Several speeches to West Virginia Mining & Reclamation Assoc. and West Virginia Coal Assoc.
- American Mining Congress, Mining Convention 1988 - Pollution Issues
Writings and Publications:
- Several WV CLE course manuals on Environmental and Construction Law
- Several publications in the West Virginia Architect
- "Products Liability - Assumption of Liability in the Sale of Assets," 79 W. Va. L. Rev. 136, 1976
- Percentage Depletion Review and Update (co-author) Eastern Mineral Law Foundation Second Annual Institute, 1981
- NBI Solid Waste (Environmental), 1990
- National Business Institute (co-author) West Virginia Construction Law, 1992
- West Virginia Chapter - Fifty State Public Construction Contract, Wiley Law Publication, 1996
- West Virginia Chapter - State-By-State Guide to Architect, Engineer and Contractor Licensing, Aspen Law & Business, 1998
- West Virginia Chapter - A State-By-State Guide to Construction & Design Law, American Bar Association, 2009
Awards and Honors:
- Order of Coif, 1977
- Selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America®, 1995-2013
- Named in the 2011 edition of West Virginia Super Lawyers®