Jennifer L. HughesBIOGRAPHY
|Phone: (304) 340-1393 | Fax: (304) 340-1130 | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org|
|500 Lee Street East, Suite 1600, Charleston, WV 25301-3202|
Jennifer L. Hughes is an associate in the Environmental Practice Group in the Firm’s Charleston, West Virginia, office. Her practice focuses on environmental litigation at the state and federal levels, as well as client counseling on environmental and energy-related matters.
Prior to working at Jackson Kelly, Ms. Hughes was Senior Counsel at the West Virginia Department of Environmental Protection where she represented the agency in administrative proceedings and in state and federal court, primarily in water permitting matters for a variety of industries, including coal mining, chemical manufacturing, electric power and wastewater treatment. Ms. Hughes also has experience in utilities regulation as a Staff Attorney for the West Virginia Public Service Commission's Consumer Advocate Division, where she worked on rate cases, purchased gas adjustment filings and receivership proceedings.
Ms. Hughes received her Juris Doctor from Lewis & Clark Law School in 2004 and served as Associate Editor of the Environmental Law Review. She earned her Bachelor of Arts degree in geology and environmental studies from Oberlin College in 1999 and was recognized for excellence in geology research by being inducted into the scientific research society Sigma Xi.
Ms. Hughes has been admitted to practice in the West Virginia Supreme Court of Appeals, the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of West Virginia, the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of West Virginia and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit.
|2012 - Present||Jackson Kelly PLLC|
|2007 - 2012||West Virginia Department of Environmental Protection|
|2005 - 2007||Public Service Commission of West Virginia, Consumer Advocate Division|
|2005||Friends of Blackwater|
|2003||United States Attorney's Office District of Oregon (Legal Intern)|
|2001 - 2003||Oregon Department of Justice (Legal Intern)|
|2004||J.D.||Lewis & Clark Law School|
|1999||B.A.||Oberlin College (Environmental Studies and Geology)|
|2009||U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit|
|2008||U.S. District Court, Southern District of West Virginia|
|2007||U.S. District Court, Northern District of West Virginia|
|2004||West Virginia Supreme Court of Appeals|
- Energy & Mineral Law Foundation
- Defense Research Institute
- Defense Trial Counsel of West Virginia
- Kanawha County Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Jackson Kelly Education Elevators Program (JKEEP), Volunteer
Teaching and Lecturing:
- Speech, Aaron S. Heishman, “Lessons Learned from the Use of Correlative Health Studies Against the Coal Industry: Is the Oil and Gas Industry Next?,” Kentucky Mineral Law Conference, Energy & Mineral Law Foundation, Oct. 22, 2014
Writings and Publications:
- Co-author, with B. Simonson and J. Smoot, "Authigenic Minerals in Macropores and Veins in Late Triassic Mudstones of the Newark Basin: Implications for Fluid Migration through Mudstone," New Jersey Geological Survey Bulletin 77, pp. B1-B26 (2010)