Our Health Care industry group offers sophisticated problem solving for a complex business and regulatory environment.
We provide a broad array of services, delivered in a fully-integrated and team-oriented approach.
Our group serves your organization with experienced counsel, knowledgeable of health industry trends and developments.
The complexity of issues presented by today’s health care environment can be overwhelming. Your organization requires the assistance of experienced legal counsel to maximize operating results and minimize the risk of undesirable legal exposure. Jackson Kelly’s Health Care industry group believes that effective lawyering requires an understanding of emerging health industry trends and developments in order to provide the most effective solutions for your organization.
Our attorneys in the Health Care industry group have a broad range of experience in traditional business fields, including corporate reorganizations, contracts, financings, and mergers and acquisitions. Our group guides hospitals in public-to-private restructurings, in strategic affiliations and consolidations, and in the issuance of hundreds of millions of dollars of tax-exempt bonds to finance state-of-the-art facilities and technology.
In addition to these more traditional business fields, our group has developed a strong regulatory overlay and offers your organization diverse compliance experience under both state and federal laws. Managed care arrangements have also become a point of emphasis within the group as health care evolves from the fee-for-service era to a system more focused on bundled payments, increased quality, risk sharing, and improving population health.
While the ultimate goal of our Health Care industry group is to steer your organization away from trouble spots, if disputes arise, our attorneys are no strangers to the courtroom or the bargaining table. They routinely appear before federal and state regulatory agencies and courts, and represent the interests of health care providers in collective bargaining and union grievances.
Some examples of the Health Care industry group’s diverse portfolio of services include the following:
- Antitrust and FTC issues
- Certificates of Need
- Civil and criminal defense in government investigations
- Corporate compliance issues
- Corporate governance issues
- Emergency Medical Treatment and Active Labor Act (EMTALA)
- Fraud and abuse issues (Stark Law, Anti-kickback Law, False Claims Act, etc.)
- Health care contracts
- HIPAA and privacy-related issues
- Labor and employment
- Legal independent review organization
- Litigation and medical malpractice defense
- Managed care arrangements
- Medical records and confidentiality
- Medical staff issues
- Medical waste issues
- Mergers, acquisitions, and other strategic affiliation arrangements
- Nonprofit healthcare organizations
- Third-party payer issues
- Professional and facility licensing
- Reimbursement issues
- State and federal tax issues
- Tax exempt and taxable financings