Jackson Kelly’s Public-Private Partnerships practice group assists clients in creating P3 agreements that partner the private sector with a public entity to create infrastructure, services, or economic development. Our attorneys handle complex transactions involving public finance, construction, government regulation, economic development, and commercial transactions. Attorneys advise and represent the interests of any party to a P3 agreement - state or local government entities, concessionaires, construction companies, architects, engineers, developers, financiers, and investors.
What sets Jackson Kelly’s practice area apart is experience, in both the economic development field and in government. Our attorneys draft and implement economic development legislation, organize government projects, and review and approve contracts and financing from private entities. Equipped with this breadth of experience, our attorneys can effectively assist both public and private entities to navigate successfully the complexities of P3 projects from conception, through public hearings and input, through the signed contracts, implementation and maintenance.
The Public-Private Partnerships practice group has complete capabilities to address the full spectrum of potential legal issues, including:
- Government contracts
- Tax increment financing
- Government regulation
- Joint ventures
- Project contract negotiation
- Real estate
The Firm’s experience with public-private partnerships covers many types of projects, including:
- Power plants
- Military housing and other infrastructure
- Rail transportation
- Energy generation facilities
- Port facilities
- Multi-purpose development projects, such as repurposing former military bases
We employ a comprehensive team approach to provide clients with specialized public and private sector experience to successfully develop and implement P3 projects cost-effectively.
Some of the experience representative of the Public-Private Partnership practice area includes:
- Working with a world leader in high speed rail to identify and pursue P3 opportunities with Amtrak and several states for the design, construction and operation of high speed rail systems
- Serving as part of team pursuing repurposing and multi-use development of closed military base on behalf of large foreign quasi-governmental entity
- Representing higher education institutions in dormitory construction projects, mixed-use classroom construction projects, and athletic facility projects
- Representing local rural protection agency in purchasing conservation easements
- Structuring property tax incremental financing (TIF) to permit infrastructure improvements necessary for the redevelopment of property
- Representing contractors in public construction projects in various states