We have a strong and broad base of energy experience and knowledge in mineral extraction and natural resources.
We are the Energy industry’s natural resource.
Our attorneys are courtroom-ready energy litigators.
For the major players in the industry, Jackson Kelly’s name is practically synonymous with energy. Jackson Kelly’s Energy industry group is one of the national leaders in energy law relating to the extraction of minerals and natural resources from federal, state, private, and tribal lands.
The attorneys in the Energy industry group regularly take the lead on matters involving the development, processing, refining, transporting and marketing of natural resources, including coal, oil, natural gas, coalbed methane, metals, hard rock, synfuels, aggregates, timber and other minerals, as well as renewal energy, electricity, and power marketing.
For its efforts, U.S. News Best Lawyers® has recognized the Firm as a National Tier I “Best Firm” in Mining and Natural Resources Law on more than one occasion.
The services provided by the Energy industry group include:
- Acquisition, lease, merger and divestiture of mineral properties
- Financing arrangements for mineral projects
- Exploration, development, contract mining and joint venture agreements
- Mineral title examination
- Administrative and civil
- Litigation of commercial, employment, safety and health, and environmental matters related to energy
- Public and private lands
- Operational permits and compliance
- Operational requirements
- Marketing of coal, crude oil, refined products and natural gas
- Transportation of coal, crude oil, refined products, natural gas, natural gas liquids and other minerals
- Federal, tribal, state and private royalty disputes
- Pipeline safety and transportation of hazardous materials
- Consultation regarding federal and state policy trends and legislative initiatives
- Arbitration regarding natural resources
- Consultation on health and safety, environmental and labor and employment issues
Among Jackson Kelly’s Energy lawyers are former general counsels to two former mining companies and one oil and gas partnership; a past and the current president of the Energy & Mineral Law Foundation; the past chair of the Board of the Colorado Mining Association; counsel to the West Virginia Coal Association, safety and health counsel to the Pennsylvania Coal Association; former vice chair of the Illinois Coal Association; and president-elect of the National Board of the Women’s Energy Network. Our lawyers are consistently rated as excellent in industry and professional publications.