Jackson Kelly’s Government Relations practice group is one of its oldest and most respected areas of practice, having represented clients in the public policy and regulatory arena since the early 1800s. Our attorneys understand that clear strategy and key relationships with both the executive and legislative branches of government are essential in accomplishing clients’ policy and regulatory goals.
Our attorneys have served in key positions in state and federal government and on state trade association staffs, and have represented individuals, business entities of all sizes, and allied national, state, and local trade associations. Our Government Relations practice group attorneys have experience across many practice areas - including litigation, tax, land, natural resources, environmental, and insurance - and combine sound, cogent strategy with practical subject matter experience.
The Firm’s Government Relations practice group has notable experience in the following:
- State Legislative Lobbying
- Advising clients on matters before policy makers in Colorado, Kentucky, and West Virginia
- Drafting legislation
- Advocating for clients’ interests with elected officials and staff
- Developing and maintaining close working relationships with legislators
- Regularly advising on the impact of pending legislation
- Monitoring and reporting on the status of pending legislation
- Preparing position statements and legislative amendments
- Testifying at or preparing witnesses for committee hearings
- Campaign Finance, Election Law, and Ethics Compliance
- Guiding clients through federal, state, and local campaign compliance issues and election law standards
- Forming of political committees, issue committees, super PACs, and 501(c)(4) social welfare organizations
- Initiating and defending compliance actions before Colorado Secretary of State and the Colorado courts
- Advising business clients and elected officials on compliance with Colorado’s Ethics in Government Act requirements since its adoption in 2007
- Strategy and Guidance
- Providing strategic guidance in communication, crisis management, grass roots messaging, and outreach to achieve client goals in policy and legislative arenas
In Colorado specifically, we have experience in both promoting and opposing state and local initiatives including drafting initiative petitions, defending or opposing petitions through the title setting process, and litigation of petition titles before the Colorado Supreme Court. Our group initiated and defended compliance actions before the Colorado Secretary of State and the Colorado courts and advised business clients and elected officials on compliance with Colorado’s Ethics in Government Act requirements since its adoption in 2007.